(This is a draft – comments welcome to webmaster please.)
RowPorty does not currently have any accreditation procedure for coxes and skippers or maintain associated records, but those who do cox or skipper our boats are encouraged to comply with this self-assessment checklist.
Coxes and Skippers
Generally the cox of a boat acts as skipper, but in order to allow people to gain experience it is common practice to share coxing duties – in such cases the experienced cox should continue to act as skipper. (This is standard practice in all boats, where the skipper does not always have their hand on the helm.) In this document the term cox really refers to cox/skipper.
- I fully comply with the Rowers Self Assessment.
- I have read and understood all aspects of the Rowing and Coxing Guide.
- I have rowed at least 8 times with RowPorty.
- I have coxed at least 2 times with RowPorty (presumably with an experienced cox on board).
- I understand how to direct crew when launching, returning to shore and moving the boat to/from the boatyard.
- I undertand how to get the boat and crew ready for rowing and what to do after rowing.
- I understand how to direct crew to change positions while on the water.
- I understand the security system of the boatyard and shed and know the numbers of the combination locks.
- I understand the relevance of wind, wave and tide conditions and how to obtain forecasts.
- I understand the risk of broaching, the possible consequences and how to minimise the risk.
- I understand what to do in the event of an incident (broach, capsize, injury, damage etc.).
- I understand how to attach/detach the rudder and how and when to raise/lower the rudder blade. I have done this in practice (preferably first on land and then on the water).
- I have been in a boat where the drogue has been deployed and understand how and when to do this myself. I also understand how to pack it away.
- I know how to contact the Coastguard by phone and marine VHF.
- I understand how to use a marine VHF radio. If unqualified, I know when I am allowed use it (emergency on Channel 16 and at other times only on Channel M/37).
- I agree to my name being included in the list of self-assessed coxes made available to rota maakers and other members.
Last updated: 31 January 2020