You’re welcome to join us! We row for exercise, for sociability and the joy of being on the water and, for many of us, the fun of competition is also important. Rowporty is open to everyone (over 16) – no rowing experience required.
Newcomers are welcome to join us for a trial row on Sunday mornings. The Sunday Social Rowing Series is designed to introduce newcomers to rowing at Portobello. A simple procedure will enrol you as a Temporary Member, lasting 30 days and entitling you to one trial row. There will be experienced rowers on board and the cox will provide basic instruction including safety aspects and technique. The sessions are always welcoming and are fun too. If you can’t make Sundays, it may be possible to join an “Ancient Mariners” row on Tuesday afternoons.
Contact Pam MacDiarmid who will send you information about getting started, including how to arrange your trial row. You will then receive details such as of the time of your boat and the name of the coach who will be looking after you.
After you’ve had your trial row, you will need to join the Portobello Sailing and Kayaking Club (RowPorty is part of PSKC) to participate in further rows. There is a web based procedure here for joining PSKC.
Having joined PSKC, you will need to register on our online event booking system (Spond). and then sign up for events using Spond. Unfortunately you cannot just turn up on the day. Contact information and further guidance on using Spond at RowPorty are available here.
What to wear & bring
- You will get wet, probably up to your knees.
- Wear stuff that can get wet without soaking up too much water – sports trousers and leggings are good, but not jeans.
- Light waterproof jacket that you can easily take off
- Launching trousers are useful and keep your feet dry
- Layers rather than heavy clothes
- Old trainers, sandals, crocs, wetsuit boots/socks etc.
- Do not wear wellies – they will get full of water.
- A bottle of drinking water, especially if it’s hot
- Warm clothing to put on afterwards
- Sunglasses and sunscreen, if it’s sunny
- A waterproof bag or case for your phone – or leave it behind.
We don’t have any changing facilities, but you can change and shower at the nearby Portobello Swim Centre for a small charge.
Updated 25 October 2019