What to wear & bring
You will get wet, probably up to your knees. Wear stuff that can get wet on your feet and legs. Old trainers, sandals, Crocs etc. Not wellies, they will get full of water.
You should also bring:
- A bottle of drinking water
- Warm clothing to put on afterwards
- A waterproof bag or case for your phone – or leave it behind.
We don’t have any changing facilities, but you can change and shower at Portobello Swim Centre for a small charge.
The following sessions will be running over the autumn & winter
Saturday Competitive / Instructional Rowing
During the winter Saturday morning rowing is going to be instructional sessions, with the aim of maintaining & improving technique, fitness & stamina. There will be a dedicated cox assigned to each boat (i.e. not swapping in and out), who will give advice on rowing technique and do some training practices. Rowers will be put in boats of similar abilities and the training will be aimed at the level of the people in the boat.
Coordinators: Ali Grant & Claire Tochel
Sunday Social Rowing
If you want a leisurely row with plenty of stops & time for a natter, then these sessions are for you! These will be hour long sessions with mixed ability, mixed sex, mixed ages all rowing together. There will be more competent rowers involved, who will be able to help those with less experience to develop their rowing.
Coordinator: Pam MacDiarmid & Patsy James
Tuesday at 2pm is for 55+ practice & social rowing, Men & Women.
Coordinators: Ben Seex & Nick Stroud
Other rowing sessions are arranged from time to time. These will be listed in BigTent with relevant details e.g. Sometimes on a Tuesday or Friday morning groups go out for a social row.
For all rowing sessions:
- You must be a member of the Portobello Sailing & Kayaking Club.
- You must gain experience at at least two Sunday sessions before taking part in the other sessions. Check with coordinators or more experienced members for advice.
- Sign up via BigTent. Once the deadline for ‘rsvp-ing’ has passed the coordinator will send an email with a timetable of who is rowing at what time.
- Please try to be on time, so that others aren’t hanging around waiting.
- Whilst we don’t charge for rowing sessions, there’s am honesty box in the shed with a suggested donation of £1 per row as a contribution to maintenance costs.
- Have fun & take care!