Trophies from Portobello are among those missing after a break in at the Watersports Centre at Strathclyde Park near Glasgow on 7 March. Almost the entire contents of the Scottish Rowing trophy cabinet was stolen.
Some of these trophies date back to the 1870s and are irreplaceable. Among them is the Portobello Junior 8s Trophy for coastal rowing awarded by the former Portobello Rowing Club. Also missing is Portobello’s Marine Trophy from 1933, named after the Marine Cafe in Portobello.
The trophies were passed on to the Scottish Rowing Association after the Portobello Rowing Club was disbanded in the 1980s.
Rowporty – the rowing division of the Portobello Sailing & Kayaking Club – had hoped to see this heritage come back to Portobello. Unfortunately it may now be lost forever.
There were trophies that Royal West had inherited from clubs on the lower Clyde amongst those stolen, including the trophy we used to present to the winning crew at the Scottish Jollyboat Championship.
Have had calls tonight expressing a feeling of deep loss. Some of these trophies date back approx 140 years and the engraving on them contain information of clubs and crews unrecorded elsewhere. This is a huge tragedy for rowing in Scotland.
Anyone with information that could help recover the trophies should contact the police or:
Jo Ramsay, Administrator
Scottish Rowing Centre, 366 Hamilton Road, Motherwell ML1 3ED
Tel: 01698 250206
The items stollen are:
- Challenge Shield, 1881, Scottish Championships Coxed Four
- Royal West Trophy, 1901, Junior Coxed Fours
- GRE Sport , 1978, Elite Coxed Fours
- Portobello Junior Eights Trophy, 1925, Junior Eights
- Saltire Quaich, 1973, Under 16 Coxless Fours
- West of Scotland Cup, 1877, Scottish National Regatta Senior Pairs
- Marine Trophy, 1933, Scottish Championships Senior Eights
- William Denny Cup, 1875
- Men’s Scottish Jollyboat Trophy, 1905
- Freer Cup
- Ben Parsonage Trophy, Lightweight Sculling Championship of Scotland
- Boyd Cup, Junior Fours
- Wylie Cup, Junior Fours
- Grieve Cup, Juniors